Tokyo Ghoul

Keano Ramirez, Reporter

Tokyo Ghoul

By: Keano Ramirez

I really love this series, and I’ve followed it from the manga and the anime. I really love Sui Ishida’s art style, the writing he put into the characters, and the story, as well. This story is sad, sometimes horrifying, if you’re a pansy who is scared of everything that comes your way, and it’s also really awesome. When the fight scenes happen, you’ll be on the edge of your seat cheering for one of the characters you love.

Here’s the storyline: In modern day Tokyo, society lives in fear of ghouls. They are mysterious creatures who look exactly like humans, but they crave flesh. None of this matters to Kaneki Ken, a bookworm ordinary man, until a dark, inconvenient encounter turns him into a half-ghoul.

They fight with kagune and some forms of hand-to-hand combat. Kagune is a predatory organ and functions like a weapon or claws. A kagune is formed by Rc cells, which flows like blood, can become as solid as teeth and can be described as “liquid muscle”.

The story follows Ken Kaneki, a college student who barely survives a deadly encounter with Rize Kamishiro, his date who reveals herself as a ghoul. He is taken to the hospital in critical condition. After recovering, Kaneki discovers that he underwent a surgery that transformed him into a half-ghoul.

The half-ghoul transformation was done by to Kaneki by moving some of Rize’s organs into Kaneki´s body; and now, like normal ghouls, Kaneki must consume human flesh to survive. The ghouls who manage the coffee shop “Anteiku” take him in and teach him to deal with his new life as a half-ghoul. Some of his daily struggles include fitting into the ghoul society, as well as, keeping his identity hidden from his human companions, especially from his best friend Hideyoshi Nagachika.