The Importance of Education

Haylyn Baker, Reporter

Think back to someone you look up to. Did they finish high school? Go to college? Get a degree? If you answered yes to these questions, they probably have a good education, right? A good education helps people become better citizens, get a better-paid job, etc. Education shows us the importance of hard work and, at the same time, helps us grow and develop. We are able to shape a better society to live in by knowing and respecting rights, laws, and regulations. 

Education means to study to develop a deeper understanding and knowledge of a variety of subjects you could use every day in your life. Education is not limited to just knowledge from books, but can also be obtained through practical experiences outside of a classroom. 

By being well-educated and holding a college degree, you increase your chances for better career opportunities and open up new doors for yourself to provide better stability. On top of that, education also provides financial security, especially in today’s society. A good education tends to lead to a higher paying job, as well as provide you with the skills needed to get there. Education is needed for equality. If everyone was provided with the same opportunities for education, then there would be less gaps between social classes. Everyone would be able to have an equal chance at higher paying jobs. 

Education also allows for self- dependency. The importance of education is evident when it comes to being self-dependent. If we are educated, then it’s something that belongs to us, and only us, allowing us to rely on no one else other than ourselves. It can allow you to not only be financially independent, but also to make your own choices. 

Having a good education can help you achieve your goals for what you choose to do in your life. An education is the most powerful weapon you can possibly have, and with it, you can achieve any goal you choose to in reasoning. There are of course certain exceptions, depending on what you’re aiming for, but generally an education will take you as far as you’re willing to go. Wanting to have a good education is something that I personally think everyone should strive for. It could be the exposure to a whole new world for a lot of people. It opens your eyes to science, ideology and human passion. 

Now, think back to that person you look up to and their education. Do you want to be like them and strive for the same education? Do you want to be better? You have the choice of choosing your own path, it’s all in your hands.