The 2nd Apple Pencil: A Wireless Stylus

Kenna Johnson, Reporter

The 2nd generation Apple Pencil is a stylus that Apple released for the iPad Pro and the iPad Air in 2018. While similar in appearance to a normal pencil, its all-white color and heavy feel sets it apart.

The electronic pencil features a magnetic flat edge that can attach to the side of the iPad for automatic charging and pairing, unlike the 1st generation Apple Pencil. I personally enjoy the flat edge because it keeps the pencil from rolling away and getting dropped or lost. The pencil charges extremely fast as well and I could never see it dipping below fifty percent since the pencil is charging when it is not being used.

The pencil also allows the user to change tools by double-tapping the pencil without setting it down or touching the screen, thanks to its new touch surface. As for its drawing capabilities, it draws as expected. No lag, impeccable precision, and high pressure sensitivity. It’s pretty similar in that aspect to the 1st generation Apple Pencil. 

I have almost nothing bad to say about this product. The only thing I have to complain about is the built-in brushes that come on the iPad in the Notes app. I think there could certainly be a variety in the texture and style of brushes available to use with the pencil.

The price is also a little bit eye-widening, however, when you think about all the positive features the pencil offers, it seems fairly reasonable. Otherwise, I highly recommend this pencil along with the iPad Air to artists, college students, or even people who just like to take notes or journal.